Do you have a unique pet that gets into anything and everything that they can find? Have you ever felt concerned about glue, as strange as it may seem? Our pets can get into some of the most bizarre things. We all know how our children would put anything in their mouths when they were infants. Our pets are even more curious and unaware of what is and is not safe for them. We as the pet parents have to be so careful about anything and everything that is within reach of our beloved four-legged family members.
Most of us have glue in our homes for various reasons, such as school work, crafts, home repairs and more. The glue that may leak or in any way become accessible can tempt your curious dog. When we realize something is toxic to our pets we try to keep those items out of reach. Not all glue is toxic to our pets such as super glue which contain ingredients like ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate 50 100% and poly (methylmethacrylate 2-30%). The ingredients cause a rapid, high adhesion upon contact with another surface. These types of household glues are not the expandable type glue, and ingestion may cause a mild oral irritation.
There is a particular type of expandable glue that we need to be especially cautious. Common names for this water-activated glue are commonly called Gorilla Glue, Probond, Titebond, and Ultimate Polyurethane Glue. If your dog ingests any of these glues, it can be quite serious, requiring surgery.
When this glue is ingested by your dog and gets into the stomach, it becomes activated by the stomach fluids. An ingredient called Diphenylmethane diisocyanate which expands and just gets larger and very hard when in a warm, moist environment. Your dog will not be able to pass it, digest it or vomit it.
You may not always witness your dog getting into the flue, but typical symptoms may be a lack of appetite, excessive drooling, swollen stomach which is tender to the touch, and gagging or vomiting. A hard stomach warrants immediate vet care.
The only solution is surgical removal followed by an overnight stay and intravenous fluid therapy. Upon returning home with your dog, your veterinarian may prescribe antibiotic drug therapy and a soft diet for at least a week.
The labeling on these gorilla type glues does not give much warning to its dangers other than “do not swallow” so it is your responsibility as the pet parent to keep this and all toxic items out of the reach of your dog. It is for your dog’s own good, and well-being.